LIRC hangs Aemulor on script run

You cannot post here, but its included for searching historical issues

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Locked
sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

LIRC hangs Aemulor on script run

Post by sedm0784 » Sun May 02, 2004 11:38 am

I've just purchased Aemulor, pretty much specifically to use LIRC, which is listed in the compatability database as fully working under aemulor.

Here, LIRC can connect to a server and general IRC type functionality works, but whenever I try to run a script, the computer hangs. This occurs both if the script is the automatic !OnConnect one, run by LIRC after connection, and if it's a specific script invoked via /run. (I tried the !OnConnect script, both as is and renamed to "OnConnect" in order to stop the machine hanging on startup, and the included "leet" script)

Once the Iyonix has hanged, typing "quit" and pressing return has no effect. Pressing the reset button causes the Iyonix to reset, but RISC OS does not start up again. I have to switch it on and off at the back to get it functional again.

I have "Produce a simple log file" set to log to "ADFS::4.$" but no log file is created.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Environment:
LIRC 1.85
Aemulor 2.21
RISC OS 5.05

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Fri May 07, 2004 11:00 pm

I haven't tested LIRC extensively myself, at least no more than to resolve the Internet module errors problem that we had in Aemulor's early days.

It was one of our users who reported that it works correctly and I believe he uses it regularly. Anyway, I'll trade you.... I believe it's possible to use IRC to connect to one or more chat rooms hosted by www.iconbar.com, but I've never looked into it.

If you tell me how to drive LIRC, a site to which I can connect, how to run scripts etc. to recreate the problem, then I'll investigate it and correct the problem. Okay?

sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

Post by sedm0784 » Mon May 10, 2004 8:52 am

Deal! I'll write you up some more detailed instructions for reproduction next time I have a spare moment.

But pending that, if you can get it to connect in its default configuration then it should hang. I'm using london.uk.eu.undernet.org as my server, but I can't imagine that actually makes any difference.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Tue May 11, 2004 1:07 am

Hmm.... both Aemulor & Pro can connect to that site and run scripts without problems. Could you try shift-booting your machine and running just Aemulor & LIRC to eliminate conflicts with other software please?

sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

Post by sedm0784 » Tue May 11, 2004 8:47 am

Aarrgh. Should have done that first, really.

Sure thing. I'll try and track down any conflicts tonight.

Guest

Post by Guest » Wed May 12, 2004 4:36 pm

Well this is annoying. I tried shift-booting and it didn't work. My keyboard is the original one, and it's plugged into the rear socket nearer the outside of the case, as instructed in the welcome guide. (I also tried the other socket, just in case.)

Any ideas why this might be? Could it be anything to do with HID? I tried to uninstall it, but I'm not sure if I was successful, because my wireless mouse (that didn't work before I installed it) continued to work. And shift-booting still had no effect.

Help!

sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

Post by sedm0784 » Wed May 12, 2004 4:37 pm

Oops. Forgot to log in first.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Thu May 13, 2004 12:16 pm

I'll confess I'm not really up to speed on all the USB stuff because I only use the standard keyboard and mouse.

You may improve your chances by removing any KVMs that are between the keyboard and the Iyonix. And I assume you're using RO5.03 or later, correct? You have to hold down the shift key for a long time, BTW.
Keep it held down until the desktop appears, just to be sure!

Does any of that help?
Oops. Forgot to log in first.
I'm always doing that!

sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

Post by sedm0784 » Thu May 13, 2004 1:20 pm

adrianl wrote:You may improve your chances by removing any KVMs that are between the keyboard and the Iyonix. And I assume you're using RO5.03 or later, correct? You have to hold down the shift key for a long time, BTW.
Keep it held down until the desktop appears, just to be sure!

Does any of that help?
Nope. I'm not using a KVM, I'm using RO5.05, and I was holding down the shift key for aaaaages. Until it became blindingly clear that it hadn't worked, in fact.

However, I've since read a post to the Iyonix smartgroup which makes me think that I was indeed not uninstalling HID correctly, so I'll try again next time I'm home.

sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

Post by sedm0784 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:14 pm

Ok. Bit of a hiatus there.

I've now tried removing HID properly, and LIRC still hangs on a script run, after a shift boot. :(

What next?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:25 am

Does it hang with the ARM610 engine as well as the SA engine, which I assume you're using(/trying to use) now?

When you say 'it hangs' do you mean that Alt-Break doesn't work either? Can you still move the mouse pointer and/or toggle the Caps Lock light on/off?

Is your copy of LIRC 1.85 exactly the same as the one I've downloaded? (Have you modified anything, other than renaming !OnConnect?) If you want to upload it to ftp.aemulor.com then I'll try your copy to see whether it's different.


If none of the above helps, I'd better go and finish my DebugLog module that aims to catch aborts/'hangs' so that we can get some more info.... :|

sedm0784
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

Post by sedm0784 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:59 pm

adrianl wrote:Does it hang with the ARM610 engine as well as the SA engine, which I assume you're using(/trying to use) now?
No! It works perfectly with the ARM610 engine! Hurrah! My scripts are up and running again!

Not sure if the rest of the post is particularly relevant now, but just for the sake of completeness, and in case you still want to try hunting the problem further:
adrianl wrote:When you say 'it hangs' do you mean that Alt-Break doesn't work either? Can you still move the mouse pointer and/or toggle the Caps Lock light on/off?
Alt-Break doesn't work. Ctrl-Break doesn't work either. Pressing the reset button sort of works, (see original post), the mouse pointer doesn't move, and I forgot to try the Caps Lock key, but I'll bet you a fiver that didn't work either ;)
adrianl wrote:Is your copy of LIRC 1.85 exactly the same as the one I've downloaded? (Have you modified anything, other than renaming !OnConnect?) If you want to upload it to ftp.aemulor.com then I'll try your copy to see whether it's different.
Yes. I originally discovered the bug using a later, beta version, but my first attempt to avoid the bug was to downgrade to the version available at: http://www.armware.dk/files/lirc/
adrianl wrote:If none of the above helps, I'd better go and finish my DebugLog module that aims to catch aborts/'hangs' so that we can get some more info.... :|
Well, you've fixed my problem, so I'm a happy camper, but it looks to me as though there's still some kind of bug there, as Lirc is StrongARM compatible. If you'd like me to carry out any more diagnostics then I'd be happy to help.

Although as I think we've already established, I'm not the snappiest of correspondents ;)

Many thanks for your help!

Locked