Application slot restricted to 28 MB

You cannot post here, but its included for searching historical issues

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Application slot restricted to 28 MB

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 am

Hi!

I just found out that running Aemulor restricts the application slot to 28 MB like it was in RISC OS < 5. But that's no good as some other 32-bit applications then don't run anymore.

Can this be fixed?

Stefan.

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:05 pm

Aemulor restricting the wimpslot to 28Mb shouldnt prevent any other 32-bit applications from running, just claiming very large wimpslots.

At present there is no way around this limitation, as Aemulor needs its 26-bit workstation and RMA in low memory, which means altering the memory map and this stops 32-bit applications from using large wimpslots.

If you want to use 32-bit applications which need to cliam more than 28Mb of wimpslot, quit Aemulor first.

Regards,

Neil
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:55 pm

Yes, I meant 32-bit applications that *need* more than the 28 MB of application space.

The idea of quitting Aemulor would be nice (I had it as well), but it doesn't work. Once you had Aemulor loaded, application space is limited to 28 MB per task. You can easily verify this by quitting Aemulor and then trying to drag the "Next" slot over 28 MB. It doesn't work for me.

Stefan.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:30 am

No further comment?
Stefan.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:56 am

No further comment?
I somehow missed this discussion I'm afraid.

The latest release of Aemulor will allow applications to claim more than 28MB after Aemulor has quit, always assuming that the app hasn't limited itself by reading the max slot size whilst Aemulor is running.

There is, however, a known bug in the current version, whereby an application that tries to claim more than 56MB after Aemulor has been stopped will cause the machine to fail/lock up... the next release will fix this.

Adrian