DVDFS or Video?

Whilst Cino is being developed, please use this forum to request or discuss possible feature for inclusion

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Which would you prefer to see develeped/released first?

Cino DVD Video playback + DVDFS for Iyonix
40%
DVDFS only for Iyonix, Cino coming later
48%
DVDFS for other RISC OS machines, Cino coming later
12%

Total votes: 25

aemulor
Site Admin

DVDFS or Video?

Post by aemulor » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:32 pm

We'd like some feedback as to what people would like first - DVD Video playback, or DVDROM FS supporing DVD data discs.

I've posted a poll attached to this posting - your feedback will be most usefull.

Cheers,

Neil
Last edited by aemulor on Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksattic

Post by ksattic » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:59 pm

Oh no - I selected the wrong choice. I meant to select "DVD video" instead of the DVD filing system. I'm confused - don't you need a working DVD filing system in order to play videos? Why would a DVD filing system on its own be useful at the moment when you can't burn DVDs on RISC OS?

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:36 pm

DVDFS is not required to play DVDs - as we proved at the SE show at Guildford.

Cino currently just reads raw data from DVDATAPI without any UDF filing system support (only basic knowlege of the ISO CD format is used to find the location of the first video VOB file)

The poll should read differently : "DVDFS" or "DVDFS +Cino" - I'll ammend it.

Cheers,

Neil
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

Dave Higton

Post by Dave Higton » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:37 pm

In reply to ksattic: Check out DVD-RAM as a storage medium. 4.7GB per side, read/write 100k times per sector; treat it like a hard disc; there's no separate burning stage. It's an excellent archiving and backup medium. We use them at work in the products we design and manufacture. I'd like to have a DVD-RAM drive in my Risc PC for these purposes. Stuff the video - that's what a DVD player and TV are for.

Dave

pjwerdna

Post by pjwerdna » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:36 pm

Not sure I'd have a use for cino as I have a DVD player. MIght buy it though depending on the price.

Not at all certain I'd buy DVDFS for Iyonix. I dont currently have DVD's with data on so I'd not have much use for it for that and the CDFS on the Iyonix has read all the CD's I've needed to read so far.

However if I could write DVD's of any sort then I'd buy it!
I currently write CD's on the Iyonix for the RISC OS side and the capacity of DVD's would make things much easier.

Michael Emerton

Post by Michael Emerton » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:57 am

DVDFS support would be essential to grab new customers to the platform - the world has now moved onto BIG data movements (my company uses DVD RAM)

so even just being able to read them would make a huge difference to me and prospectic customers.

Get it working on the Iyonix first then on the RPC.

:D

keep the work up

ksattic

Post by ksattic » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:55 am

But what would you read from a DVD data disc that would be of any use on a RISC OS machine? Unless you could write as well as read DVD data discs, I can't think of a reason why DVDFS would be a better idea than a DVD movie player first.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:09 pm

CDFS can only read the first session of a multi-session CD. DVDFS alone would perhaps be more useful for reading all CDs properly rather than reading DVDs.

Personally, I want it for watching DVDs of course :D

Adrian

tlsa

Post by tlsa » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:47 pm

I would definitely like DVD video playback. DVDROM FS doesn't really interest me so much as I don't need to access data DVDs and I don't have any CDs that CDFS can not read.

ksattic

Post by ksattic » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:26 am

Adrian - I don't understand what you mean by CDFS not reading sessions after the first on a multi-session CD. I thought it had done this for a long time. I just burned a two-session disc now, and it reads both sessions just fine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:06 pm

ksattic wrote:Adrian - I don't understand what you mean by CDFS not reading sessions after the first on a multi-session CD. I thought it had done this for a long time. I just burned a two-session disc now, and it reads both sessions just fine.

It could be that I was using an out of date CDFS module. IIRC I upgraded CDFS after trying a multi-session CD so maybe it works now.

Datawave Nederland

Post by Datawave Nederland » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:46 am

aemulor wrote:DVDFS is not required to play DVDs - as we proved at the SE show at Guildford.
Cino currently just reads raw data from DVDATAPI without any UDF filing system support (only basic knowlege of the ISO CD format is used to find the location of the first video VOB file)
The poll should read differently : "DVDFS" or "DVDFS +Cino" - I'll ammend it.
Cheers,
Neil
Hi Neil,
When can we expect cino for the RISC PC, i just bought the Foundation DVD, but i cannot read it in my both cd-rom players.
Does the foundation DVD runs in a normal dvd player ???
Stick To RISC OS Forever !!!
Do NOT Leave The RISC OS World