Cannon Fodder

Report compatibility issues running 26-bit applications under the Aemulor Pro

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Cannon Fodder

Post by Matt » Tue May 18, 2004 7:58 pm

Hi - has anyone managed to get Cannon Fodder running on Aemulor Pro? i have tried the AU CDROM version and a Risc OS 4 patched version but it
won't run work gives error message

'Filename 'Can$GameModesthere' not recognised

i don't think this is strictly an Aemulor problem, but maybe wrong, the
game works fine on the Risc PC and doesn't display this message.

Post by ianhamilton » Wed May 19, 2004 8:40 am

I have Cannon Fodder running but I'm unable to locate the source of the patch I'm using however the Run file does include the Can$GameModesThere variable so it sounds as though you might have the same version. This patch appears to consist of three parts :-

Loader - size 1044 bytes.
Kris2A module.

Post by tonystill » Fri May 21, 2004 9:37 pm

No joy here either. I have an original (3xfloppy disc) version and assumed it would run with the ARM3 engine. Just locks up.

Tried the Justin Fletcher patch (which does not match the description above) and this made no apparent difference.

Post by timothy » Sun May 23, 2004 12:30 am

Yes you do need the patch Ian suggests but I too can't find the link. I can email it if required.

However even with the patch there is a little bug in !Run which causes this Can$GameModesThere error. It's missing a version number, just change the 4th line to,

RMEnsure GameModes 0 Set Can$GameModesThere FALSE

If GameModes was already in memory it would have worked anyway. This is why the same patched version ran on my RiscPC - because GameModes is in memory on startup, version 2.01. It must be built in to RO4 or Select as it's not in !System. Most old games come with GameModes 1.15 but I'm not sure what the difference is. I always thought GamesModes was for using modes like 49.

One remaining problem running Cannon under Aemulor Pro is that it won't use mode 49, it always uses mode 13. You select this by commenting the appropriate line in !Run. It works fine on my RiscPC.

Also does anyone else find that you can't change from one of the 1,2 and 4 bpp modes that Aemulor provides straight to a 16 or 32 bpp mode, you have to change to 8bpp first. This makes exiting games annoying because it frequently can't change back to my default 32bpp mode.

Post by ianhamilton » Sun May 23, 2004 6:55 am

I have both those changes too.

The mode changing problem is on the known bugs list :-

Changing back to a native mode after being in a low-bpp mode will not work if the native screen size exceeds 2MB with current code. As a workaround for now, change into a low resolution native mode so that the screensize is less than 2MB. You can then change into any screen mode.