POVRay + TaskObey bug

Report compatibility issues running 26-bit applications under the Aemulor Pro

Moderators: aemulor, admin

POVRay + TaskObey bug

Post by simon_smith » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:09 pm

Hi Adrian, I am emailing you the PoV Executable I am using plus a trivial scene file. The whole lot is only 260k Zipped. Create a folder called $.PoVray and copy the contents into it.

1 Clean boot
2 Run AemulorPro (using newly-created Obey file which sets the wimpslot)
3 Open PoVRay directory
4 Double-click !Setpaths
5 Double-click Batch

First time round you should get:

PInternal error, no stack for trap handler: Internal error: abort on data transfer at &2079D644, pc = 00000000: registers at 0008BE90

Double-click Batch again and it should work.

1a. Set the filetype of Batch to a plain obey file.
2a. Clean boot
3a. Run AemulorPro (with or without obey file)
4a. Open PoVRay directory
5a. Double-click !SetPaths
6a. Use filer menu or other means to set the CSD to the PoVRay directory
7a. Press Ctrl-F12
8a. Type 'Batch' in the task window

That should work first time every time.

For the record, I use PoVRay in this example because it's about the only program I have where it's reasonable to run it from a TaskWindow. I don't really think it's a PoV bug. I suspect PoV is just a convenient trigger.

POVRay + TaskObey bug

Post by simon_smith » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:57 pm

Update: Running Edit before double-clicking the task obey file is sufficient to avoid the address exception error. So from my position of copious ignorance I would guess the problem was some minor issue with how task windows are initiated - i.e. the bug is somewhere in the communication between Aemulor and Edit when a new task is initiated.

POVRay + Task Obey bug

Post by simon_smith » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:16 am

Sorry, not address exception, abort on data transfer.

Also, if I permit the filer to see Zap, then run the file 'Batch', I haven't been able to trigger the problem, so Zap task windows appear 100% well-behaved as far as this issue is concerned.

Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:20 am

Thanks for characterising the problem. As you say POVRay is the innocent victim. I should really have spotted the TaskObey/TaskWindow connection straight away. There's a known issue with starting 26-bit TaskWindows using Edit, or indeed Zap, for the first time. The workaround is simply to create a 32-bit TaskWindow (by pressing Ctrl-F12) before you use any 26-bit ones. This ensures that there's something running that can handle the TaskWindow output.

Exactly why it fails is something that I still need to investigate, though the way that 26-bit TaskWindows work ATM is a tad inelegant. In particular if there's no editor running (to display the TaskWindow output), then one will start under emulation. I'm hoping to clean this up (and thus properly fix the problem) in a future release.