Problems finding source files?

Post questions, issues and bug reports here for DeskDebug

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Post Reply
veger
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Enschede, the Netherlands
Contact:

Problems finding source files?

Post by veger » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to debug a program I'm writing. It has about 25 source files and the same amount of header files. The source is divided into C, C++ and assember. Everything is working fine when compiling and linking with debug options turned on.

But when I try to run it I get Abort on Data Transfer errors with addresses like &640, &B90 and other 'nice' values, but always lower than &1000. The address is sort of random since it varies after I compiled everything again. There's no application name in the title bar.

So I've stripped down my program to 9 source files (one C, 2 assembler and 6 C++ files), and still having the errors. After removing another source file the errors are gone and my program is running in the Debugger. The source file I removd is a small one just for displaying multitasking error/warning windows and I'm quite sure it's absolutely bug free. And I'm very sure that it's not used since I removed all references to it from the other source files.

When I'm looking at the 'source names' window 2 of the files are the header files instead of their source files. When debugging these parts of the program the source listing shows the header files and it's stepping through comments, emptylines and other non-debugable lines.

I added the lastly removed source file again and I got the same kind of errors again. But looking at the open files (using a utility) I see 2 (out of the 9) of the files (and the RunImage) openend. One of the 2 open files is the header file of the added source file.

Because of both situations described in the last 2 alineas, I'm wondering whether the errors are a result of unfindable source files...


I hope this is enough information and it's clearly enough (it's not very clearly written I suppose :roll: ). It's possible to send you the stripped version of my program if you like, so you can reprodue the things I tried to describe. But I'm not sure whether it will compile at once on other computers, since the MakeFile is relying on some system variables. I can also send the 2 different RunImages (one working and one giving the error), with the needed source/header files.

Cheers,
Maarten

PS I'm using VirtualRPC, but suppose that it's not influencing things, since other C(++) programs (small ones) are working nice.

WeissDeals
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: Switzerland, Zug
Contact:

Post by WeissDeals » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:34 pm

Reading your description I think, that on some conditions DeskDebug confuses header and source files, as it mis-reads the debug infos. I will investigate into this.

WeissDeals
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: Switzerland, Zug
Contact:

Post by WeissDeals » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:11 am

I improved the routine to read the Debug Infos and fixed some bugs. I sent Neil the version 1.05, and he upladed it, so that it's available for download. Greetings from Switzerland!

veger
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Enschede, the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by veger » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:35 pm

It's working much better now, I can include all my source files without getting the crashes anymore, the source files are listed correctly now aswell.
But there's just one probem left, all source listings (both c++ and objasm) are empty except for the line numbers, which are displayed correctly for all the different source listings.

WeissDeals
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: Switzerland, Zug
Contact:

Post by WeissDeals » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:21 pm

veger wrote:It's working much better now, I can include all my source files without getting the crashes anymore, the source files are listed correctly now aswell.
Thanks for telling your test results! They're important for me.
veger wrote:But there's just one probem left, all source listings (both c++ and objasm) are empty except for the line numbers, which are displayed correctly for all the different source listings.
Are the directories with your sources on an other location, when you debug, than when you compiled, assembled and linked them? If yes, then you should use the "Source path" window. Open the menu on the icon bar, and select "Source path" to open the "Source Path" window. If your sources are in the same directory as the application, but not in the application directory, then type simply an "^" into the writeable field inside the "Source Path" window, then hit [return] and then start your debugging session with double-clicking your application to be debugged. Tell me, whether this solves your problem, please. Greetings from Switzerland: Niklaus

veger
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Enschede, the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by veger » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:41 pm

Changing the source path did the trick, I forgot to think about that... Everything looks like it's working correctly now!
Thanks!

WeissDeals
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: Switzerland, Zug
Contact:

Post by WeissDeals » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:05 pm

veger wrote:Changing the source path did the trick, I forgot to think about that... Everything looks like it's working correctly now! Thanks!
Thanks for this answer! It shows me not only, that DeskDebug now works correctly in this matter, but also, that the "Source Path" window is a good idea. Greetings!

Post Reply