Bugs?

Post questions, issues and bug reports here for DeskDebug

Moderators: aemulor, admin

pierpa

Bugs?

Post by pierpa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi all,

I bought Deskdebug some time ago, but only in these days I'm starting to use it seriously...with some problems.

I'm using it on a quite large project, with 30-40 source files.
As soon as I load the application, trying to view the "sources" show just the first 4 files and then locks the machine solid. I have to use the reset button. This happens even before I start executing even the first step.

I'm trying to debug a Norcroft C application on a RO 5.09 Iyonix.

Moreover if I start to execute the program, I notice that some variables have the wrong value in them, i.e. if a=100 and I make b:=a, then the value of b isn't 100 after executing the "b:=a" instruction, making the entire program to crash.

Please note that this applications works correctly when not debugged or debugged with DDT.

Any suggestion?

WeissDeals

Re: Bugs?

Post by WeissDeals » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:57 pm

Which version of "DeskDebug" are you using now? The actual version is 1.07 (2005/12/12). I remember, that a similar problem arised with an earlier version of DeskDebug, that crashed when reading big file infos. Meanwhile I fixed that bug. If your problem happens with the actual DeskDebug version, then please send me a test program, so that I can re-create it. Greetings from Switzerland: Niklaus

pierpa

Post by pierpa » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Niklaus,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I'm using the last version of the software (1.07). I'll try to create an example, as the program that is causing the problem is too far dependent of several other libraries and should be difficoult to send you the lot of sources.

Do you think this problem has anything to do with the wrong variables values?

Greetings from Italy! ;)

Pierpaolo

WeissDeals

Re: New features

Post by WeissDeals » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:47 am

pierpa wrote:Do you think this problem has anything to do with the wrong variables values?
I think, that wrong variable values are another problem than the bug, that caused the lockup when reading the big file infos. However, your variable problem could have a relation with the crash, that you describe. To find the cause, I need a test example.
Hint: Try to delete the "Choices" file and then create a new one by saving a choice. If the option "Choices file in '!Boot' is ticked, it is saved as "DeskDebug" in the boot structure. Otherwise it is saved as "Choice" in the application directory. See the topic "features" too, where I just answered a report of Tank. Greetings: Niklaus

WeissDeals

Re: Bugs? (Crash when debuggung big projects)

Post by WeissDeals » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:59 pm

Meanwhile I found out the cause of the problem. DeskDebug generates index tables for all source files, that are compiled or assembled with Debug Infos. To store these index tables I use a memory space with fixed size, but no error handling in the case, that the space is full. When there are many source files with many lines, then DeskDebug corrupts other memory contents, so that it then crashes. I will investigate into this and implement a better method and a good error handling in this case. Greetings: Niklaus

WeissDeals

Re: Bugs? (Crash when debuggung big projects)

Post by WeissDeals » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:54 am

The version 1.08 is now in the beta test. It will contain the following improvements:
  • A dynamic growing memory space is used for the source index tables, so that even big projects with many debug infos and big source files can be examined.
  • The message handling is improved, so that all message protocols work properly, even when any program (like TechWriter) checks the message reference numbers.
  • DeskDebug works now together with the ColourPicker module and allows the examined program to install its own pre- and post-filters.
  • Windows consisting of multiple windows remain now in the actual window stack location, when they are moved after adjust-clicking on their title bar.
  • The register contents are now read from the context stack frame, when the conext feature is used. This makes sure, that contents of automatic and register variables are displayed correctly for the context locations same as for the executation location.
  • Two bugs introduced in version 1.07 are fixed: The error window did not display the program name, and the interactive help displayed wrong textes for many items.
The version 1.08 will be available for download as soon the beta test confirms, that it works properly.
Greetings: Niklaus

jjvdgeer

Other problems

Post by jjvdgeer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Just as the OP, I bought DeskDebug some time ago and only today started using it seriously. So far it has not really worked.

Upgraded to 1.07 before using it...

Having bought it some time ago, I do not remember anything about the documentation. So I tried the 'Help' in the menu. It opens the NetSurf documentation (NetSurf was already started). Nice, but that was not really what I was after.... :-)

Anyway, more seriously, my program closed a window which was subsequently opened again. I tried the debugger to find out where it happened. Guess what? It does not happen using DeskDebug...

I found some other behaviour differences as well... At one point a OS error occured while debugging (I tried overwriting a file with a directory or vice versa, so the error was meant to occur). However, after the error was catched, it had changed to another error alltogether (something to do with OS_ScreenMode or something, don't remember). Again, not things that happened while running normally.

Of course this could be explained by uninitialised pointers and such things, but somehow I do not think that is my problem...

Have others found this kind of problems?

Reading some other posts, I see there are some limitations about the projects size. What is 'big' here? I am talking about 584413 bytes of c code (with few comments in the code, of course :-) ). Does that qualify?

Cheers,
Jan-Jaap

WeissDeals

Re: Other problems

Post by WeissDeals » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:54 am

jjvdgeer wrote:Having bought DeskDebug some time ago, I do not remember anything about the documentation. So I tried the 'Help' in the menu. It opens the NetSurf documentation (NetSurf was already started). Nice, but that was not really what I was after... :-)
You can get the 'DeskDebug' manual from the Spelling Software Store: http://software.spellings.net/manual/de ... manual.php
The 'Help' item in the 'DeskDebug' iconbar menu starts and activates the interactive help application. I just tried out this with 'NetSurf' started before 'DeskDebug', but I can not reproduce your problem. Clicking that menu item behaves as it should.
jjvdgeer wrote:Anyway, more seriously, my program closed a window which was subsequently opened again. I tried the debugger to find out where it happened. Guess what? It does not happen using DeskDebug...
I found some other behaviour differences as well... At one point an OS error occured while debugging (I tried overwriting a file with a directory or vice versa, so the error was meant to occur). However, after the error was catched, it had changed to another error altogether. Again, not things, that happened while running normally.
Could you send me a test program please, so that I could reproduce these faults and hopefully fix the bugs?
jjvdgeer wrote:Reading some other posts, I see there are some limitations about the projects size. What is 'big' here? I am talking about 584413 bytes of c code (with few comments in the code, of course :-) ). Does that qualify?
The limitation is caused by the source index table generated by 'DeskDebug'. Maybe your project is too big, but this limitation will be removed in version 1.08, that is now in the beta test.

jjvdgeer

Post by jjvdgeer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:55 am

Where do I send an example? I haven't tried to, and I am a bit unsure about taking the time to create a minimalistic example. Are you satisfied with a whole project together with steps to reproduce? I can point you to the statement that should have brought up the window, so it is not like digging through heaps of code. Shouldn't be, anyway.

Regarding the help menu item: I played with it, but it has to do with the focus. Is the focus in NetSurf, the NetSurf documentation comes up. If the focus is in Messenger, the StrongHelp page for Messenger comes up :)

Another small niggle: I started DeskDebug without it having been Filer_Booted. It works, but it installs an invisible icon on the iconbar... :)

Cheers,
Jan-Jaap

WeissDeals

Re: Other problems

Post by WeissDeals » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:14 pm

jjvdgeer wrote:Where do I send an example?
Please send it to deskdebug@weissniklaus.ch
Hint: Try out the forum fetatures! ;-) By clicking the 'Profile' button near my name you can find out more about me.
jjvdgeer wrote:I haven't tried to, and I am a bit unsure about taking the time to create a minimalistic example. Are you satisfied with a whole project together with steps to reproduce? I can point you to the statement that should have brought up the window, so it is not like digging through heaps of code. Shouldn't be, anyway.
You can send me your program with or without source. Make sure, that it is compiled with all Debug Infos. When these are present, but the source itself is absent, then 'DeskDebug' works properly though, but shows only the line numbers in the Source Listing window. Please supply me with a suitable breakpoint address and the steps, that are needed to reproduce the problem, that you described.
jjvdgeer wrote:Regarding the help menu item: I played with it, but it has to do with the focus. Is the focus in NetSurf, the NetSurf documentation comes up. If the focus is in Messenger, the StrongHelp page for Messenger comes up :)
Thanks for your explanation! Now I can reproduce this behaviour. It happens, when the interactive help is already running, and the 'Help' item on DeskDebug's iconbar menu is clicked. Under this condition DeskDebug sends the key code [F1] to the application with the input focus. I will fix this.
jjvdgeer wrote:Another small niggle: I started DeskDebug without it having been Filer_Booted. It works, but it installs an invisible icon on the iconbar... :)
I just fixed this one by copying the first line from the '!Boot' file to the top of the '!Run' file inside the "!DeskDebug" application directory. This should fix this niggle.

WeissDeals

Bugs?, Other problems?

Post by WeissDeals » Sat May 20, 2006 6:55 pm

I finished DeskDebug 1.08 just before the Wakefield Show and sent it to Neil. He promised me to demonstrate the new version at the show and to upload it shortly after the show. Neil, I think, that "shortly" is over after a week! ;-) Could you find some time to upload DeskDebug 1.08 on your Software store website, please?
Greetings from Switzerland: Niklaus

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Tue May 23, 2006 2:08 pm

<slaps wrist> Yes - will get it on there tommorow!

Cheers,

Neil
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

WeissDeals

Post by WeissDeals » Thu May 25, 2006 7:56 pm

aemulor wrote:<slaps wrist> Yes - will get it on there tommorow!
Cheers, Neil
What yesterday was tomorrow, that today is...? There is another "tomorrow" everyday! ;-)

simon_smith

Post by simon_smith » Fri May 26, 2006 8:22 am

WeissDeals wrote: What yesterday was tomorrow, that today is...? There is another "tomorrow" everyday! ;-)
That sounds very profound. Positively Shakespearean, in fact :-)

WeissDeals

Re: Bugs? / Other problems

Post by WeissDeals » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:24 pm

Now DeskDebug 1.08 is available for download. The manuals are updated too.
Please get the new version, try it out and tell me your experiences with it!
Greetings from Switzerland: Niklaus