2.20 and 32-bit elves

Informal forum to keep you all informed on development progress

Moderators: aemulor, admin

admin
Site Admin

2.20 and 32-bit elves

Post by admin » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:21 am

Right, I'm definitely not pre-announcing release this time...

I've respectfully held my breath for 24 hours to give Neil a bit of time to update the website (thank you!) etc etc... though I've since learned that Drobe didn't wait more than a few minutes before responding to Neil's email!....even in the middle of the night; the folks@Drobe must go through even more caffeine than I do! :-)

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to our users for their patience; I know 2.20 has taken a while to appear... I'm both embarrassed and pleased to report that almost half of the 30+ improvements we've made in 2.20 have been made in the last fortnight; embarrassed because up until mid-July development was really quite slow :-(

But pleased because now I'm able to work on Aemulor full-time again, hence all the extra work that I've managed to put it in recently....so, thanks for your support. I'm really quite proud of Aemulor 2.20, and I'll hope you'll be pleased with it too.

Unfortunately I was fresh out of 32-bit elves - cheers Drobe, lovely idea! :-) - so I've had to do things the hard way but I'm really quite pleased with the result....but probably not for long; I still have sound/filing systems, possibly VIDC/IOMD emulation & definitely sub-256 colour screen modes to do.

But, first things first, I'm going to 'reward' myself with some fun.... I still reckon I can get this wee beastie to go faster - actually I know I can - so "watch this space"...

Adrian

diodesign

Post by diodesign » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:16 pm

The Drobe working hours are a little.. crazy ;) The 32bit elves thing is a reference to a Three Dead Trolls sketch about how to buy a computer.

RAM comes in bunches of eight because of the tiny elves in your RAM, each with 8 fingers on each hand.

Keep up the good work ;)

Chris. Drobe. Just me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:34 am

> The Drobe working hours are a little.. crazy

:-) I'm familiar with that.... the other half of Aemulor, popularly known as Neil, once told me that "I can't see you working 9 to 5, unless that's 9pm to 5am".... How true! ;-)

> The 32bit elves thing is a reference to a Three Dead Trolls sketch
>about how to buy a computer.

Thanks for that.... I particularly like the bit at the end about "even if you've chosen the wrong computer it will be obsolete so fast that it won't even matter!" Soooo true/sooo Wintel ;-)

Someone recently asked me "do you eat or do you just plug yourself into the nearest wall socket?" I couldn't resist saying "yes, I eat; the odd byte and nibble here and there."

> Keep up the good work

Cheers, I intend to....as I'm sure will you.
Thanks,

Adrian