In case you're bored...

Informal forum to keep you all informed on development progress

Moderators: aemulor, admin

admin
Site Admin

In case you're bored...

Post by admin » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:49 am

In a moment of stupidness - lasting not more than the past 2 years ;-) - I decided to try running Zool under Aemulor and, if you try it, you should find that it runs exactly as it does natively, except that it lacks the sound.... since "I haven't written this yet!"

BTW, did you know that Meteors, which ships with the Iyonix, is not (yet) 32-bit compatible and thus doesn't run without Aemulor... runs fine with it, though..... so if you have a mad desire to play Meteors again you know what to do! ;-)

Well, an earlier project was held up quite badly when I started playing Blocks with a vengeance.... amazing what you'll do to avoid writing a thesis.

Oh yeah, more serious stuff.... 26-bit filing system support is looking good; ermmmm, I think I may still be dreaming, but the code ran first time and appears to work perfectly..... so, I'm sure I've missed something really important!

Cya,

Adrian

PS. Anyone found my Easter Egg yet? ;-)

hubersn

Re: In case you're bored...

Post by hubersn » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:54 pm

adrianl wrote:Oh yeah, more serious stuff.... 26-bit filing system support is looking good; ermmmm, I think I may still be dreaming, but the code ran first time and appears to work perfectly..... so, I'm sure I've missed something really important!
So when is the new FS-supporting Aemulor released then - surely this weekend :D

Seriously, I think the lack of filing system support is the one big weakness of Aemulor at the moment. There are so many useful FSes available that have not been 32bitted (and which don't depend on the "power of the XScale" to be useful) like TBAFS, Win95FS, LanMan98, ImageNFS etc.

Has it been decided whether FS support will make it into general Aemulor release, or if it will only be included in Aemulor Pro?

Steffen

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:03 pm

> Seriously, I think the lack of filing system support is the one big
> weakness of Aemulor at the moment.

Really? I don't think a very large proportion of our users need FS support, but I could be wrong.

> TBAFS, Win95FS, LanMan98, ImageNFS etc.

If you have a number of FSs that you want to see working on the Iyonix, would you like to help test a pre-release demo copy? I have a couple of people helping already which is good, but it wouldn't hurt to test a few more filing systems.

> Has it been decided whether FS support will make it into general
> Aemulor release, or if it will only be included in Aemulor Pro?

We plan to include it with Pro but not the 'general' version. Since day one (well, the Guildford show last year) we've said that the normal version of Aemulor will run the desktop apps that most users want, and Pro will be available for those users who need the extra work involved in supporting lower-level code such as filing systems, sound, direct hardware access etc.

Personally I feel that Aemulor is pretty much finished and that any updates will be bug fixes, no major new features.....frankly it already does everything I need (I'm using it daily to view HTML files - I really like Browse - edit Templates files, plus running a few other dev tools)

My programming efforts are now focused on Pro.

Adrian