Geminus!

Informal forum to keep you all informed on development progress

Moderators: aemulor, admin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:36 pm

You'll need 16MB of memory free to start Geminus at the moment, and - if you've run the earlier alpha version - you should delete the contents of !Boot.Choices.Geminus to avoid confusion. Obviously, there should be a helpful error message and recovery if there isn't enough memory available - I'll look into this - but later alpha releases simply don't understand the config files saved with earlier versions (there's no code to convert them, it being pre-release still), although I haven't seen this problem here.

If that still doesn't help, let me know.

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:52 pm

That's done the trick. Thanks!

law

Gemulator

Post by law » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Software please

law

Gemulator

Post by law » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:39 pm

Sorry about the rather terse previous posting.
Having typed the following 3 times and being
asked to log in again and finding the post had
vanished into a blackhole (using preview), I
was a bit brassed off.

Having finally found the time to install the second
card and monitor, I find that I've no instructions
on how to get the software. Please help.
I'd also like the VAT invoice from the Birmingham
show.
Dave

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:15 am

That's because the software hasn't been released yet, oweing to it taking me longer than expected to iron out the last couple of problems. However I have just solved the last problem that was holding back the release..... so it should be available within a week (a bit of tidying still to be done, and some instructions need writing etc...)

Re the invoice, I'd suggest emailing 'neil' directly if you haven't heard from him yet, at aemulor dot com ( <- I don't want to be responsible for him getting any more spam mail!)

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:26 pm

Without meaning to brag, my copy works great! I've got it up and running with dual screens, and am very pleased with it. No real problems thus far. I'd post screenshots, but my Iyonix is currently not connected to the net due to home "improvements".

Thanks a lot, Adrian!

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Again! Again!

My copy has expired again. Please may I have another?

Also, I've been getting some machine hangs when using Geminus. I've not had the time to really try to narrow it down yet, but they've been occuring when I've been using Easiwriter Pro, with Geminus set up to display my Desktop over two screens, each at 1280x1024. The computer freezes, with the mouse not moving and the caps lock key having no effect. They occur within about 10 mins of use, and do not seem to occur if Geminus is not running.

I will post more details once you've given me another copy of Geminus ;) and I've had a chance to do some proper experimentation to find out circumstances under which the freezes do and do not occur.

Cheers!

Rich

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:48 pm

Uploaded.

http://freespace.virgin.net/a.m.lees/alpha/rcheng.zip

Please be sure to delete your Config file again (should be the last time you'll need to do this!). This latest version fixes a couple of problems but another user has reported intermittent freezes too, and I'd very much like some more info on this if you can help, please.

I can re-create what I think he's seeing but only by installing my original NVidia board (pre-production machine) on the secondary PCI bus (2 shorter slots, on the right hand side) and the newer card on the primary (64-bit slots, on the left).

I'd imagine that your original card is in one of the longer slots and the newer one in a shorter one, correct? If not, and you're still getting freezes with the new software, please would you move the cards and see whether this resolves the problem?

Adrian

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:54 pm

Hmm, perhaps I'd better make that more explicit -

Code: Select all

BELIEVED GOOD:

------- --------- USB & terminator
     ------- --------- old nVIDIA
              --------- SB Live 5.1
              --------- new nVIDIA

KNOWN BAD:
     ------- --------- new nVIDIA (or empty)
              ---------- SB Live 5.1 (or empty)
              ---------- old NVIDIA

Since I get the same symptoms with just the old original nVIDIA board present, and with Geminus not even loaded, I think I'm exonerated, though definitely concerned. :(

Adrian

law

Geminus

Post by law » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:19 pm

Any chance of a beta please ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:26 am

Shoudn't have to wait too many more days for a full release copy, but I'm making heavy work of some support code (required for other Spellings projects too) ATM :oops:

So, in the meantime, yes, you can have a beta copy, but I'll need your MAC address (Note the number alongside 'Ethernet address' in response to *EkInfo at the command line) and email me adrian At aemulor
dOt com, cheers.

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:59 am

You were correct when you guessed that I had the old nVIDIA card in a long slot and the new one in a short slot:

Code: Select all

RICH'S CONFIG (BAD?):
     ------- --------- old nVIDIA
              ---------- new nVIDIA
              ---------- empty

So I've left them as they are.

I've also since had one freeze without Geminus loaded, so that would appear to exonerate you.

However, that is a single freeze in several weeks of use, and I usually get a freeze within about 10 mins of using Geminus :(

Any more ideas?

In other news, my copy has expired again. Can I have another, please?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:33 pm

sedm0784 wrote:However, that is a single freeze in several weeks of use, and I usually get a freeze within about 10 mins of using Geminus :(

Any more ideas?

Has your machine received (or been shipped with) the PCI bus mod?

If you find that these freezes still occur more frequently with Geminus loaded but still in a single screen (unrotated!) mode (ie. Geminus isn't doing anything), then it's most probably a software fault.

Otherwise I'd wager that Geminus is falling foul of an unreliable PCI bus (as will Cino :roll: )

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:01 pm

I don't have the PCI bus mod, no.

I shall try leaving Geminus running with my normal screen mode, then, and get back to you.

Just out of interest, how close are you looking to the release of version 1.0?

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:11 am

Well, after some experimentation, I'd say that although the freezes do occur a *little* more regularly with Geminus loaded but doing nothing, they don't occur anything like as regularly as when it's actually performing its magic. (once every 10 days or so, as opposed to every 10 minutes)

Looks like I'm going to need my PCI bus modded after all :(