OpenVector, OpenGridPro and DrawPlus

Informal forum to keep you all informed on development progress

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Post Reply
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

OpenVector, OpenGridPro and DrawPlus

Post by admin » Sat May 28, 2005 5:34 pm

Some issues have been uncovered with the use of these 32-bit conversions on more machines:

- Type 3 aborts (illegal memory access) when resizing a rectangle in OpenVector
or creating a grid in OpenGridPro. Caused by the dynamic area of the app being created at a top-bit set address. This occurs only if other memory-grabbing apps have been run first such as O2/PhotoDesk etc.

- Font names limited to 11.23 chars for the family.style

Both of these problems have been resolved in updated versions, temporarily* available from:

<url now invalid>

Please let me know if you find any more problems. As I've been careful to point out, I haven't exercised these conversions very much, so there could still be undetected problems.


*Temporarily -> these versions will be available via the official channels once Neil has returned, assuming that no more problems have come to light.
Last edited by admin on Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:40 pm

Single-bit change for A9home compatibility! Same URL as above.

The previous build was, rather bizarrely, causing the mouse pointer to disappear when clicking on a Discard/Cancel/Save dialogue button. This turned out to be caused by the instruction LDMIA R1!,{R0-R3} which the programmer had (almost certainly unintentionally) used.

LDM instructions that load a register and write back a modified base to that same register are 'UNPREDICTABLE' in ARM Architecture Reference Manual speak, so should not be used. It would appear that here the ARM9 core differs from earlier CPUs.

(The ARM920T present in the Samsung CPU was writing back the modified base address, for what it's worth, whereas the code assumed the loaded value.)

User avatar
aemulor
Site Admin
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:32 am
Location: Purley, Surrey
Contact:

2.01 Uploaded

Post by aemulor » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:46 pm

Now uploaded and available to all from the main site.

Cheers,


/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

pcnewble
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:35 pm

OpenVector

Post by pcnewble » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:38 pm

I've just downloaded OpenVector v2.01, having by chance noticed Adrian's posting of 28th May. There is at least one remaining problem common to both 2.00 and 2.01: OpenVector doen't remember having saved the file. After saving, the file-changed-since-last-save flag shown by an asterisk in the title bar isn't cleared, and the new filename isn't remembered. Thus, having saved a newly-created file with a meaningful filename, on the next save OpenVector still gives the leafname "DrawFile" or "VectorFile" rather than the path under which it was last saved. Apart from the irritation of being told the file hasn't been saved when it has, there's also the danger of saving a file under a new name to preserve a previous version, then forgetting to alter the name every time on subsequent saves, thus overwriting the original again.

Peter Newble.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:20 pm

Thank you for reporting that; I have now found & fixed the problem. It's not actually a 32-bit conversion problem, rather a bug that appears to have been introduced since the most recent 26-bit version of Vector I've tried.

I won't release a new version immediately because I want to do some more testing first to see whether any more such problems exist. New version available soon, though.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Post by admin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:36 am

New versions uploaded:

http://freespace.virgin.net/a.m.lees/do ... source.zip

Binaries will be available via the website as usual soon (after Neil has found this post! ;)

Fixes:

- OpenVector: modified flag not removed from diagram when saved
- DrawPlus & OpenVector: Imported JPEGs had incorrect dimensions,
resulting in redraw errors when DrawFiles exported to other apps.
- OpenVector: Multiple font tables in file error.
- minor oversights in 32 bit conversion, of no practical consequence

Note for anybody building from source:

I have restructured the source slightly so that the application-specific source code is external too, making it much easier to distribute binaries without source (for those who don't need it), and source without binaries (to keep down the size of the source archive).

This is mainly to assist me when releasing new versions, which until now has been somewhat arduous requiring a lot of manual copying & deleting of files (in fact the above fixes were made in June but not released til now for this reason! :roll:)

Post Reply