Geminus acceleration

Informal forum to keep you all informed on development progress

Moderators: aemulor, admin

admin
Site Admin

Geminus acceleration

Post by admin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:34 am

Having answered many questions in many different places and collected a short list of problems with the first full release of the acceleration code, I thought I'd gather together a few points here re an updated version that I'll be making available in the new few days:

- Acceleration on/off switch in Demo version only affects apps not listed in the GemConfig Settings pane currently. It also shows the red cross if any acceleration is disabled, leaving room for the misapprehension that Geminus is not accelerating anything when in fact is is.

This will be changed to work as a complete on/off switch for the whole of Geminus to permit a more accurate comparison.

- Pinboard and some other apps currently exhibit partially-drawn sprites if redraw cacheing is enabled for those sprites. This bug has proved somewhat hard to track down and fix to date. As an interim solution, redraw cacheing can be disabled for those apps. I will do this with a new default configuration. When the update is available you will need to delete Geminus.Config in your Choices directory (normally $.!Boot.Choices) for this new config to be applied.

- Some shortcomings of the redraw cacheing logic will hopefully be addressed to make it better at using the available cache memory. Currently a window will often only be partially cached because some of the cache memory is being hogged by other windows/applications.
The result is that gain when redrawing is not as great as it might be and the rectangular cached and uncached regions can be seen quite clearly as the window is scrolled or moved.

- A possible problem with larger desktops (per screen) of more than 1280 x 1024 x 32bpp. This is hard for me to investigate and fix because I opted for 2 LCD panels rather than 1 hi-res screen, so if anybody is able to provide more information and/or help investigating, please get in touch.

- Lastly, it seems that there is a flaw in the logic that results in the redraw cacheing ceasing to work if it has been left running for a while. I have no definite leads on what is happening yet, though I have observed that simply opening the GemConfig application (eg. Geminus icon -> Menu -> Choices) and clicking on Set reactivates it, simply by reapplying the current configuration. This shouldn't be too hard to track down and fix.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:11 pm

The default config currently planned for the next update:

ArtWorks on,on,on
ArtWorks Viewer on,on,on
Cino on,on,off
Filer on,on,off
KinoAMP on,on,off
NetSurf on,off,on
PDF on,on,on
Pinboard on,on,off
StrongED on,on,off
Zap on,on,off
Other apps on,on,off

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:34 am

adrianl wrote:The default config currently planned for the next update:

ArtWorks on,on,on
ArtWorks Viewer on,on,on
Cino on,on,off
Filer on,on,off
KinoAMP on,on,off
NetSurf on,off,on
PDF on,on,on
Pinboard on,on,off
StrongED on,on,off
Zap on,on,off
Other apps on,on,off
Thanks for this. One question though, why have the individual applications set to on,on,off when the "Other apps" setting is also on,on,off. Wouldn't you get the same effect if you missed out the settings for Cino, Filer, KinoAMP, Pinboard, StrongED and Zap?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:35 pm

The effect is the same, yes, but I listed those explicitly just in case someone changes the 'Other apps' settings ;)

sedm0784

Post by sedm0784 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 pm

Doh!