Computer freezing

Support for the Geminus graphics products

Moderators: aemulor, admin

cterran

Computer freezing

Post by cterran » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:27 am

Received my graphics card this morning; thanks!

Seems to work very well generally, but I've had a few freezes -- mouse pointer won't move, Alt-break doesn't work. The card seems seated firmly enough. The first time it happened I was dragging a StrongED window from one screen to the other, the second and third times I was using O2 on the second screen.

Using Iiyama VMPro454 + Digimate TFT screens at 2560x1024x32, 72Hz. RO 5.09.

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:32 am

Did you install the card in the 32-bit slot as recommended in the manual?

We've seen similar hardware issues with cards installed in certain slots (happens without Geminus loaded too)

Regards,

/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

cterran

Post by cterran » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:55 am

Yes -- it's in the third slot from the bottom. (The top one's blocked; see other post.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:42 pm

Would I be right in thinking that your PCI bus has not been modded?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:59 pm

I've got that little board in the PCI slot, if that's what you mean.

PS: This board never remembers me now (using O2, and I've ticked the 'remember' button). Have you changed something? It always used to log me on automatically.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:12 am

The PCI bus mod is an engineering change, that requires some track cutting and soldering, see:

http://www.iyonix.com/updates/MB-Mods.shtml

From the fact that you have the small board (PCI bus terminator), I would strongly suspect that your machine is one that predates the above mod (Jan 2004), and is susceptible to freezes induced by certain patterns of PCI access.

Geminus is believed to be the innocent victim of these freezes, causing as it does, more PCI bus traffic and - perhaps more importantly - to PCI slots that were previously unused. In your particular case, having one of the earlier machines, it may be worth trying both graphics cards in the longer (64-bit) slots, but I really would recommend having the mod done.

Re the position of the audio input(s) on the mobo, that's just poor design I'm afraid, and there's not much that can be done about it, save leaving those inputs unused (personally, I use DigitalCD and DVDFS to play the audio digitally via software, rather than an analogue flylead).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:16 am

Your O2/cookie problems (failure to login automatically) may be caused by visiting the forums via a different address; they used to be support.aemulor.com, perhaps you're now using support.spellings.net. Try going directly to support.spellings.net and logging in there.

*waves hands lots*

I don't know too much about web stuff, so I expect Neil will be along to correct me soon ;)

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:58 am

If the site is no longer logging you in, you will need to refresh your cookie and make sure you are accessing via the support.spellings.net URL.

It was changed a while ago when I merged to seperate forums into one.

re audio headers
I've had another user unable to fit his second card because he uses two CDROMs both with the analogue audio cables connected. Im going to have a chat to Castle about it this weekend, although I didnt think of using the above software - I will suggest that to him!

Cheers,

/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

cterran

Post by cterran » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:39 am

adrianl wrote:The PCI bus mod is an engineering change, that requires some track cutting and soldering, see:

http://www.iyonix.com/updates/MB-Mods.shtml
You don't have a smiley for "hair standing up in terror"... :)

Blimey, I'm not trying that. Actually, from the text it seems to be a fix for a sound problem, which AFAIA I've never had -- my Iyonix's sound performance has been superb, and I don't think I've ever had a freeze due to sound.

You're right - my machine is an early one (Dec 2002).

I suppose Castle would do the mod, for a fee. That'll have to wait though; I can't really afford to be without the machine. :(