Rotation and icon sprite resolution

Support for the Geminus graphics products

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Rotation and icon sprite resolution

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Hi,

I've been enjoying using V1.1 in portrait mode on an LCD monitor running at 1024 x 1280. When in landscape mode I see all the filer icons and tools (including icon sprites, mouse pointer, etc.) in high resolution (e.g. the filer uses !Sprites22 icon sprites). However changing to portrait mode switches everything to lower resolution icons and tools (e.g. the filer uses the lower res. !Sprites icons and fuzzier mouse pointer).

Is this something I can configure myself? Or does it need a change in Geminus? I've done some renaming of !Sprites22 files to !Sprites (yes, I know it's a bit naughty) to improve the appearance, and also used *iconsprites to try to set specific ones. However it would be good if Geminus set this for me - is that possible? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

John

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:56 pm

Well, I'm not sure how you've managed to create such a mode; would you care to tell me please? ;)

Anyway, yes, you can fix it, but there's no user interface for doing this at present, so *RMKill Geminus. Open the file !Boot.Choices.Geminus.Modes in the text editor of your choice, find the 1024 x 1280 mode definition and set the two values xeig and yeig to 1, thus:

# 1024 x 1280
startmode
xeig:1
yeig:1
endmode

Then save the file and start Geminus. Note that the low resolution sprites won't automatically be replaced with higher res ones, because of the way that RISC OS works, but each application should load its hi-res apps when started anew.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 pm

Well, I'm not sure how you've managed to create such a mode; would you care to tell me please?

Thanks for the reply. I just pressed the "suggest" button and picked it from the list of resolutions the Geminus configuration application gave me. The monitor is a Mitsubishi NEC 1880SX
Anyway, yes, you can fix it, but there's no user interface for doing this at present, so *RMKill Geminus. Open the file !Boot.Choices.Geminus.Modes in the text editor of your choice, find the 1024 x 1280 mode definition and set the two values xeig and yeig to 1, thus:
Thanks. I'd already done that as a result of something you posted previously. Somewhat sheepishly, I've just discovered that the problem was user error - the mode was started automatically with:

WimpMode X1024 Y1280 C16M EX1 EX2

in the "Monitor" file on Predesk.Configure.

Correcting that to:

WimpMode X1024 Y1280 C16M EX1 EY1

solves the problem!

Thanks for making me look at it all again and spotting the problem. I was convinced I'd entered it correctly...

Regards,

John