No suggested modes with GNR driver

Support for the Geminus graphics products

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Chris Majer

No suggested modes with GNR driver

Post by Chris Majer » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:48 pm

I have just aquired a second monitor to go with the GNR 20" (1600x1200)supplied by Castle. The new monitor is a 19" Acer from Argos (1280x 1024). The Acer works very nicely with the GNR driver set to 1280 x 1024.

However setting both monitors to GNR in the !GenConfig, going to suggest modes gives no options at all. If I change both monitors to just about any other type e.g. Iiyama AU513DT, then it works but then I cant go back to non-Geminus 1600 x 1200.

Looking at the GNR-PGE2100 I see the only real difference is that it was created by Decode EDID V1.2 and has more commented lines, apart from that it has the same type of technical content for each mode.

Any suggestions how I can get the GNR MDF to be recognised by Geminus?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:26 pm

You will need to load the MDF into a text editor and ensure that all the keywords are in lowercase, which probably just means changing startmode and endmode. This has been reported before and I updated the Geminus module accordingly but it appears that I neglected to change the !GemConfig application at the same time :(

Chris majer

GNR Monitor

Post by Chris majer » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:34 pm

I ran the GNR MDF through !makemodes which picked up this point. All endmodes were written as EndMode and I have changed these to lower case. startmode was already lower case. !makemodes can now load the MDF. Sadly Geminus still doesn't list any suggested modes?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:07 pm

The other thing GemConfig doesn't like is spaces at the start of lines, so it may be worth checking that the bit inside startmode/endmode isn't indented. Other than that, the modes need to be a multiple of 256 pixels wide (landscape orientation) or high (portrait), but most common modes such as 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768 meet this constraint.

Note, however, that 1600 x 1200 cannot be used as part of a multi-screen mode because it is not a multiple of 256 pixels in width. This is a limitation in the way that Geminus works and has been advertised in the product description since its first announcement.

It may be possible to remove (or lessen) this constraint later but it isn't high priority and is likely to take a lot more work than will be recouped in sales so, to be frank, will have to wait until it can be funded by income from elsewhere.

Finally, if none of the above casts any light, upload the MDFs to ftp.aemulor.com or email them to me at adrian at aemulor . com , drop me a note and I'll check them.

Chris Majer

GNR Monitor

Post by Chris Majer » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:25 pm

That did the trick - every line was indented between start and end. Spaces all removed and suggest modes works OK.

The bad news is that the Acer monitor has failed with no screen display. It did last for a couple of hours from new :cry:

I have now substituted a Relysis monitor at 1024 x 768 and dragged accross 2048 x 768. This didn't work at first giving the message 'screen mode is not compatible with the screen being used'.

However quitting Geminus and reloading, this time gave the message okay and the other monitor sprang into life. Is this normal?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:00 pm

I have a feeling you may get unexpected behaviour like that if you change the monitor type and create new modes in a single operation; I'll look into that. For now it may be best to change the monitor types, Adjust-click Set and then edit the mode(s) before clicking Set again, this time with Select, ie. change the configuration in two steps rather than one.

Re the Acer screen, are you sure that it's dead; does it not give a display at all (with its control buttons & menus) and not work as the primary screen on either the IYONIX pc or another computer? Computing equipment does tend to fail pretty soon after purchase or run for a (relatively) long time, but it'd be best to rule out any problems with the Geminus software, NVidia driver and/or second graphics card before blaming the screen ;)

Chris Majer

GNR Monitor

Post by Chris Majer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:27 pm

The Acer monitor was definitely dead - no display of menus or start-up banner. I have taken it back to Argos and now have another one that works OK (still).

I am still perplexed over getting Geminus to work as expected. I was going to set monitor to GNR in both cases as the Acer works well with this driver set to 1280x1024 at 75Hz. However Geminus will suggest 2560x1024 at 60 and 75Hz but won't run either saying the mode is not suitable for the monitor(s).

Setting the Acer to an Iiyama monitor Geminus suggests 2560x1024 at 60Hz with Okay if this mode is selected and runs fine if tried. Having set this mode it is added to the list presented when the Geminus icon is selected.

No problem so far but if I shut down or do a reset, then click on the Geminus icon and select 2560x1024 and Change, the dreaded 'One or more screen widths is unsuitable.....' message is displayed.

Now go back to Geminus set-up and select this same mode from the list, this is 'okay' and runs as normal.

Any suggestions?