Gem 1.20 window corruption

Support for the Geminus graphics products

Moderators: aemulor, admin

blahsnr

Gem 1.20 window corruption

Post by blahsnr » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi
Running a 512MB Iyonix with a 2nd video card RO5.10 build Sept 24th 05. Also a PCI TV card. 2 screens Iiyama 1451 and an Acorn AK60 (for testing purposes).

PCI cards are in the following order; 'outermost' 64bit slot original nVidia card, USB card, new nVidia card as supplied by yourselves, RavePCTV card in the innermost small slot.

When moving a window between the two screens I am getting corrupted window redraw. F12-Enter cures it as does dragging another window over the corrupted one. Any way of avoiding this happening in the first place? Can supply a screenshot of the effect if needed.

Cheers and a Happy New Year
Stan

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:58 am

You could try moving the second card to be in the other 64-bit slot - we've seen PCI-related problems with cards in other slots.

Can you also try with the "Use DMA" option turned off and see if that stops the corruption.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

blahsnr

Post by blahsnr » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:22 pm

aemulor wrote:You could try moving the second card to be in the other 64-bit slot - we've seen PCI-related problems with cards in other slots.

Can you also try with the "Use DMA" option turned off and see if that stops the corruption.
Two slight problems;
1) I can't swop the usb card with the nVidia card as there seems to be a plug with a cable (going to the CDROM?) in the way. What is the solution to that one?
2) I have an early mb with the extra mini card in the other 64Mbit slot. Can I just take out this card as I cannot get the nVidia card in with it there? Will I not run into problems again?
Thanks
Stan

blahsnr

gem 1.20 window corruption

Post by blahsnr » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:55 pm

aemulor wrote:You could try moving the second card to be in the other 64-bit slot - we've seen PCI-related problems with cards in other slots.

This made the problem a little worse.

Will try swapping cards round in the next week.

Also noticed that if I start up PCITV lines appear in the middle of the left hand screen (the Iiyama) and stay there until PCITV is quit and F12-Enter refreshes the screen.
HTH
Stan

aemulor
Site Admin

Post by aemulor » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:47 am

blahsnr wrote:I can't swop the usb card with the nVidia card as there seems to be a plug with a cable (going to the CDROM?) in the way. What is the solution to that one?
Temporarily remove the lead (its the analogue CD audio input) whilst you do your testing. You can use the lead with the graphics card in that slot, but you have to bend the pins gently by 30 degrees or so.
blahsnr wrote: 2) I have an early mb with the extra mini card in the other 64Mbit slot. Can I just take out this card as I cannot get the nVidia card in with it there? Will I not run into problems again?
Yes - when using the second 64-bit slot, you can remove this board.

Cheers,

Neil
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:04 am

uption.
Finally got round to putting the two graphics cards next to each other. The problem is there still :) However I now know in what situation the corruption occurs.

It is possible to select a screen height higher than the second monitor can actually display (in this case max is 768 and the display height in the Geminus screemode is 1024).

Thus the main monitor (a 19" Iiyama) displays the full height whilst the second monitor (15" Yakumo) only displays from the iconbar to 768 pixels high.

If a window say a web browser strays into the remaining (not displayed) area on the second monitor then the section of the window that is not displayed is then corrupted when pulled back onto the larger primary screen.

The solution for me in this case is to wait for my second matching 19" monitor to arrive ;)

However I am not sure that you should be able to select a screen mode that leaves undisplayed (but 'usable') screen area present. I must confess to using the same MDF for both monitors, perhaps that has something to do with it?

So in my case problem solved.
Regards
Stan

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:34 pm

You have discovered what I refer to as 'hole modes' because there's a portion of the screen that's not visible on any of the monitors used, and - yes - you are right that these do not quite work correctly.

Geminus will never suggest such a mode but it is still possible for users to create them manually; they can be quite useful at shows, for example, because you can use one screen in landscape and one in portrait mode.