Geminus Tempramental

Support for the Geminus graphics products

Moderators: aemulor, admin

ChrisM

Geminus Tempramental

Post by ChrisM » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:27 pm

As already reported under the GNR item I can't get a consistent response from Geminus.

For example after using the Iyonix for a while with single screen, I then selected !Gem Config and click on a screen mode (2560 x 1024). This reports 'screen 2 cannot display this colour depth'.

If I remove Aemulor and repeat the above step I now get 'The requested screens are already in use'.

The only way out is to shut down completely count to 20 and repower up the Iyonix. Then repeat the above - this time the report is 'okay' so the dual screen mode can be run (I am using it now).

I suspect this is related to dynamic memory or an incompatible module.

Do you have any advice?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:14 am

First, please note that 2560 x 1024 ( = 2 x 1280 x 1024) should only work in 32 million colours, so be sure that you aren't expecting it to work in a mode with fewer colours.

Geminus is best started before Aemulor Pro. (There should be no interaction between Geminus and the basic version of Aemulor because it does not provide any screen emulation.) To achieve this, if you have Geminus in PreDesk. make sure that it comes before Aemulor in the directory listing (eg. !Geminus vs Aemulor, the '!' causing it to be loaded first.)

I think, however, that your machine is not seeing the second graphics card/driver module for some reason. When you get this problem, please check the module list by typing *Modules. You should see the following:

13 FC169434 200209B4 NVidia%1
FC169434 200099D4 NVidia%Base

If you don't have two NVidia modules, then it's not a fault of Geminus per se, rather that the OS isn't seeing both graphics cards. Try re-seating the cards and/or moving the new card to a different slot. Has your machine received the PCI bus mod?

It may also be worth re-flashing the OS (you should be using the latest 5.10) with Castle's app once both cards are working because it programs the card types into the flash :x

*PCIDevices should also show two NVidia GeForce2 MX entries, and *GeminusInfo will show the screens that Geminus 'sees.' You should see screen 0 and 1 listed at the bottom of the output, with a further screen present if Aemulor Pro is run after Geminus (the emulated screen that Pro provides).

Lastly, I'm unaware of any other software that conflicts with Geminus, but do you have any particular system extensions (apps should be fine) that you think could cause such a problem?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 am

PS: could you please confirm the software versions that you're using, both Aemulor (/Pro) and Geminus (see the Info pane of !GemConfig). Thanks.
Last edited by admin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisM

Geminus Temramental

Post by ChrisM » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:56 am

Geminus is in Predesk whilst Aemulor Pro is in tasks.

I hadn't noticed the number of colours before (it is not obvious in !GemConfig) but right clicking on the Geminus icon does indicate this. As it happens it was showing 32K which appears to be the default. Changing this to 16M does remove this colour depth problem. So far it has worked well now I have set this value.

Although it is now working I tried the star commands suggested.

*modules is almost as stated apart from an additional C after the FC number.

*pcidevices was the same.

*geminusinfo gives screens 000 001 002. Not sure about the Aemulor Pro reference - what should I expect to see?

With reference to module conficts I thought perhaps DALimit (in predesk) or !PhotodeskDA (in tasks) may affect things?

I am using a X300 machine with the 5.10 OS.

I'll do the above checks again if it stops working properly.[/quote]