Streaming audio problem

You cannot post here, but its included for searching historical issues

Moderators: aemulor, admin

cterran

Streaming audio problem

Post by cterran » Sun May 04, 2003 3:17 pm

Applications that run under my Lisp module have problems when Andrew Duffell's Shoutcast streamer is active. Lisp starts reading in a file but then crashes with various data aborts.

Quit !Stream, and all starts working again. I can't see how this would be a Lisp problem, as it has no connection with sound at all.

RO 5.03, UDMA upgrade, 512Mb.

!Stream is at http://duffell.cjb.net/

!Lisp has been on the Aemulor ftp site for ages, but I don't think Adrian's ever looked at it.

Best, Chris

cterran

Post by cterran » Tue May 20, 2003 12:55 am

Any chance of a response to this?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 21, 2003 9:15 pm

Oops, sorry... :oops: You had the misfortune to post just when I started working overtime on the Aemulor Pro demo (sub-256 colour modes) for Wakefield.

I suspect that your problems will disappear if you change the Lisp interpreter to run using the ARM610 engine. If I'm right then Stream will be issuing service calls in the background, which causes problems with the current released SA engine because it isn't fully reentrant.

The imminent update (2.20) fixes this problem, but please do tell me if the problem still occurs with the 610 engine - and I promise to read the groups this time :wink:

Adrian

PS. I've downloaded Stream to check this myself as well, thanks for the address.

cterran

Post by cterran » Thu May 22, 2003 12:34 am

Sorry ... didn't mean to nag! Thanks for replying.

I've changed the various programs that run under Lisp to ARM610, but they still fail consistently when Stream is running (and work consistently when it's not).

But I don't see how to set a *module* to use ARM610 emulation. Or isn't that necessary?

Looking forward to 2.20, anyway ... if it can't be fixed it's not a huge problem (just means I can't have music while I work), so don't lose any sleep over it.

Best, Chris

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 23, 2003 1:28 am

OK, I'll see what I can do...

Re modules, the StrongARM/ARM610 switch applies to the app... and all the modules that the app uses. And, yes, this means that the module code could be run in ARM610 mode by one app, and SA mode by another :wink:

It doesn't seem to matter in practice; if a particular module isn't SA-compatible, all the apps that use it will be need to be set to ARM610; simple as that.
so don't lose any sleep over it.
At the moment, there's not much left to lose anyway :wink:

Adrian