Problems with the Geminus beta

For support of the Geminus screen acceleration feature
dpt

Problems with the Geminus beta

Post by dpt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:46 pm

I've just given it a try:

(1) title bars of windows drawn with repeating vertical black bars across. this comes and goes.

(2) various icons are drawn shaded. i softload the 3.7 icon set, and noticed this with the ramfs filer icon and file_xxx which are mode 19 and 18 sprites respectively.

(3) the task manager's display gets corrupted quite easily.

(4) origin/clipping problem: drag an image into Paint, drag the paint menu around on top of the sprite window, the menu gets overwritten on its left hand pixel border and the sprite itself smears as if the lowest-order bit of x position is being lost. actually this looks like the cause of (1).

Give us a shout if you'd like screenshots or more info.

Regards,
Dave

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:49 pm

I can reproduce the problems with RAMFS, thanks, though I'm baffled as to why you'd want the 3.7 sprites ;)

Re the sprite & title bar problems, could you please confirm that you are running in a 32K colour mode? Most of the development and testing has been directed at 16 million colour modes but I thought 32K colours worked fine too. Obviously I was mistaken since I can recreate those glitches too, now that you've drawn my attention to them - thank you.

The TaskManager window corruption is a known fault in the redraw cacheing (remembering of window contents in off-screen meory) that will be fixed asap. For now it's probably best to turn off redraw cacheing for most apps (including the 'Other apps' option) and only switch it on for, say, AWViewer and ArtWorks(2). It's to do with the way that apps insert/delete sections of their windows to change size.

dpt

Post by dpt » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:35 pm

Yes, it's a 32K colour mode - I'd not realised - 16M colour seems fine.

Thanks for the tip.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:13 am

Sprite plotting glitches sorted. Only the TaskManager/redraw cacheing problem still to resolve. I'll update the beta in the next few days. Thanks again.