Acceleration+JPEG 1.30 demo with NetSurf and Variations

For support of the Geminus screen acceleration feature
xyzzy

Acceleration+JPEG 1.30 demo with NetSurf and Variations

Post by xyzzy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 pm

At the moment I have both acceleration on and JPEG switched on. I have definitely noticed some speedups of JPEGs.
Unfortunately, Variations appears to get confused and when showing a thumbnail as a full view ends up showing a previous image and even combining a few images together (as at http://www.sparse.net/varia.jpeg ) which looks a bit odd.
NetSurf (most recent versions tested with Error diffused foreground and dithered background) have the toolbar sometimes partly covered by the toolbar texture which hides a button or eats a bit of URL bar. I now see that this is mentioned in the ReadMe though. However, what is the optimal setting for NetSurf then (both in terms of redraw cache on/off and the Images settings)?

Looks interesting anyhow.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:57 am

I have sprite plotting and redraw cacheing switched on (left and right options) for NetSurf and just live with the visual corruption in the toolbar until I work out what's causing it.

I was unaware of the problem with Variations; it may be relying upon certain behaviour of the WindowManager which is no longer true with redraw cacheing present. For now, just disable redraw cacheing with Variations; it shouldn't really need it anyway, especially with the sprite plotting and JPEG accelerations enabled.
I've added it to my list of things to investigate, though.