Single-tasking programs and Aemulor

Place for general questions about Aemulor not directly related to compatiblity.

Moderators: aemulor, admin

bmsh

Single-tasking programs and Aemulor

Post by bmsh » Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:52 pm

Will these work? All of the programs I've seen mentioned as working with Aemulor or being looked at are proper desktop applications, but is that just because these are a higher priority or is it a necessity? I guess my question really is, will games run?

Thanks,
Ben

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:30 am

Well, some single tasking programs already run, certainly. In fact the !Blu demo that came out when the RiscPC was released gets part way through and then runs into trouble because it directly accesses hardware that no longer exists.

And this is the main hurdle to be overcome with games - if the game tries to directly access the hardware, the chances of it failing are much greater. If, however, it just uses the published OS API then it has a /much/ better chance of working.

Note that this isn't as bad as it sounds - direct screen access /is/ possible (indeed necessary for applications like ArtWorks and StrongED), and the 8-bit sound system is fully working even if the voice modules/STracker stuff has to run under emulation.

So some games may work already, though I haven't tried any yet - did you have anything in particular in mind? And is there somewhere online that I can get a copy to try it out?

As you guessed, desktop applications are considered more important, but Aemulor doesn't really know whether a given lump of code is actually desktop code or single-tasking; it simply doesn't need to know.

Adrian

bmsh

Post by bmsh » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's good news! I wasn't thinking of any title inparticular, just in general. Keep up the good work -- I see there's more Development news already. :D