Browse

You cannot post here, but its included for searching historical issues

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Locked
Gaspard
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:14 pm
Location: Valkenburg NL
Contact:

Browse

Post by Gaspard » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:21 pm

I tend to use !Browse still a lot as it, to my experience, is, although outdated, the most stable, fastest and beautiful browser compared to oregano2, webster, fresco and oregano1.

But: running it under Aemulor completely crashes my Iyonix. Is there a fix?

Gaspard

User avatar
aemulor
Site Admin
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:32 am
Location: Purley, Surrey
Contact:

!Browse

Post by aemulor » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:06 pm

We have had !browse running OK under the current release version of Aemulor - what version do you have?

I dont think it will currently fetch pages from the internet due to the Internet SWI error code changes in RISC OS 5, but 2.2 should fix that one, but I've had !Browse fetching local pages OK on the Iyonix.

Do you have all the relevant modules copied across in your !System folder? If so, can you give me the versions?

Cheers,


/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

Gaspard
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:14 pm
Location: Valkenburg NL
Contact:

!Browse

Post by Gaspard » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:07 am

I did copy the modules in 310. modules.network and 310.modules.network.url.
My version of !Browse is 2.07

Do I need other modules as well?

regards, Gaspard

User avatar
aemulor
Site Admin
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:32 am
Location: Purley, Surrey
Contact:

Post by aemulor » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:59 am

What happens when you try and run !Browse? Any errors, or just a lock up?

Are you dragging !Browse onto the Aemulor icon?

Cheers,


/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

Gaspard
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:14 pm
Location: Valkenburg NL
Contact:

!Browse

Post by Gaspard » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:33 pm

I installed !browse in a directory software > browse > !browse, that is I copied it across the network from a RiscPC.
After that I copied the modules to the location already given.
I copied !webserve and !webcache to the system.rescources directory.
When trying to run !browse by dblclick select I get a: ' url module needs to be 0.41 or later' error. Dragging !browse to Aemulor gives a 'internal error: etc'
By alt-break i can stop a module named 'unknown' which gives me sometimes control back again.
Sometimes the iyonix hangs after trying several times.

Gaspard

User avatar
innit
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Sarf London, innit.

Post by innit » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:43 pm

I have Browse 2.07 running under Aemulor here. I found that I had to set its 'Choices/Images' for JPEGs to 'OS routines only' , otherwise Browse will crash when loading certain types of JPEGs. It will quite happily fetch pages from the internet.

The other thing which will make Browse crash is trying to move or alter anything in the Bookmarks window. The only solution I've found is to edit the 'Choices:WWW.Browse.Hotlist' file by hand, or just use Bookmaker instead.

Gaspard
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:14 pm
Location: Valkenburg NL
Contact:

!browse

Post by Gaspard » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:52 pm

Well it's nice there are still others who value !browse, I decided to install it from scratch using the original CD. That will leave me with an still older version, but the upgrade must be somewhere on a backup:-(

Gaspard

User avatar
innit
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Sarf London, innit.

Re: !Browse

Post by innit » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:04 pm

Gaspard wrote:When trying to run !browse by dblclick select I get a: ' url module needs to be 0.41 or later' error. Dragging !browse to Aemulor gives a 'internal error: etc'

Gaspard

There is a 32 bit version of the AcornURI module written by Christian Ludlam available from http://sudden.recoil.org/others/index.php

That may help with the module error. I can't think of anything else different from what you have outlined above that I did when I copied Browse from my RPC.

Gaspard
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:14 pm
Location: Valkenburg NL
Contact:

!browse

Post by Gaspard » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:28 pm

Thank you innit....

And Christian Ludlam of course who wrote it.

It's up and running, after I copied the new URI module and switched off the automatic loading of !webserve


Gaspard

Locked