Aemulor not running at start-up

You cannot post here, but its included for searching historical issues

Moderators: aemulor, admin

Richard Mellish

Post by Richard Mellish » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:32 pm

I installed updates 26, 27 amd 28 this morning. Now, when I start up the Iyonix, Aemulor is not running.

The Aemulor file is still in !Boot.Choices.Boot.Predesk and double-clicking on it runs it OK.

Could one of the new/revised applications in !Boot.Choices.Boot.Predesk be preventing Aemulor from running automatically?

Also, probably not connected:
According to the ReadME file, the Aemulor application should be accessible via Apps on the icon bar - but it isn't, though of course one can run it by double-clicking the file icon. One can't do "Add to Apps", because there isn't a normal application directory to drag in.

Richard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:25 am

Hmmmm... perhaps Castle doesn't like Aemulor/me?! Normally, everything in the PreDesk gets started automatically. I suppose that Aemulor could be failing to start for some reason, but it seems unlikely given that you can start it manually later.

I'll have to look into it... I don't have the relevant disk upgrades at the mo.

The folks @ Castle have previously suggested that Aemulor be renamed as !!!Aemulor so that it starts first.... I don't think this should be necessary (and if it is, I'd like to find out why!) but it may be worth trying?!

> Also, probably not connected: According to the ReadME file, the
> Aemulor application should be accessible via Apps on the icon bar

It won't be if the Aemulor module isn't running... but it /should/ be
if it is..... when the module's running it provides its UI via the Apps
directory (in ResourceFS)

Adrian

ianhamilton

Post by ianhamilton » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:19 am

If Update 26 hasn't worked correctly then it would prevent anything after !!!!SoftSCSI in Predesk from running.

HTH,
Ian

ianhamilton

Post by ianhamilton » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:28 am

It just occured to me that if you have run Update26 but omitted Update23 then that would cause a problem. If that's the case then run 23 and then re-run 26

HTH,
Ian

aemulor
Site Admin

Re: Aemulor not running at start-up

Post by aemulor » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:07 pm

Richard Mellish wrote:I installed updates 26, 27 amd 28 this morning. Now, when I start up the Iyonix, Aemulor is not running.

The Aemulor file is still in !Boot.Choices.Boot.Predesk and double-clicking on it runs it OK.

Could one of the new/revised applications in !Boot.Choices.Boot.Predesk be preventing Aemulor from running automatically?
When you say "not running" do you mean doesnt appear in a *Modules list, or just doesnt have an icon on the iconbar?

If you start Aemulor from predesk, the gui isnt enabled, whereas it is if you start Aemulor by double-clicking on the module (which sounds like what you are seeing)

What isnt clear in the readme (and will be in 2.2 - take note Mr Lees) is that starting Aemulor in predesk assumes you want it to be transparent, so it doesnt place an icon on the iconbar. This seems to have created more confusion that its helped solve, so in 2.2, the having the GUI present when running from predesk will be a configurable option, wont it Adrian? :wink:

Cheers,

/Neil/
Aemulor - the 26 bit ARM emulator for XScale

Richard Mellish

Post by Richard Mellish » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:23 pm

Thanks to all for the various explanations and suggestions.

>> When you say "not running" do you mean doesnt appear in a *Modules list, or just doesnt have an icon on the iconbar? <<

I noticed the problem when I tried to run Impression and got the "gone wrong" error. So I did *modules and there Aemulor wasn't.

>> If you start Aemulor from predesk, the gui isnt enabled, whereas it is if you start Aemulor by double-clicking on the module <<

Aha! Now I understand that bit and, yes, it could do with a clearer explanation in the ReadMe.

>> It just occured to me that if you have run Update26 but omitted Update23 then that would cause a problem. If that's the case then run 23 and then re-run 26 <<

I think I had run 23, but to be sure I ran 23 again and 26 again. That made no difference.

>> The folks @ Castle have previously suggested that Aemulor be renamed as !!!Aemulor so that it starts first.... I don't think this should be necessary (and if it is, I'd like to find out why!) but it may be worth trying? <<

Bingo! Over to you clever chaps to work out why . . .

I've actually made it !!!!Aemulor, so it comes ahead of the latest !!!!SoftSCSI.

Richard