What about the new Iyonix ROM and Graphics card with Geminus

Support for the Geminus graphics products

Moderators: aemulor, admin

tim

What about the new Iyonix ROM and Graphics card with Geminus

Post by tim » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:48 pm

I have Geminus 1.31 with a second graphics card and two screens.

I see that Castle have at last released the 5.12 ROM and give an option to replace a graphics card with a nVidea FX5200 one. My Iyonix is an early one with an early graphics card which may give limited graphics acceleration with Geminus 1.31. So here's some questions:

1. Will the new 5.12 RISC OS work OK with the above Geminus?

2. Is there any advantage in getting the new FX5200 card?

3. Will the FX5200 card work with Geminus?

4. Will the graphics card I got from Spellings work OK with RISC OS 5.12 or will it have limitations that mean that I should replace the Spellings card as well?

I do not have any of the pyjamas or other funny effects on my Iyonix (currently).

Tim Powys-Lybbe

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Geminus should be fine with RO 5.12 and existing graphics cards. It will not work with the FX5200/5500 cards currently because they identify themselves as a different card type that released versions of Geminus know nothing about.

tim

Post by tim » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:24 am

Thanks for that answer.

I see that you use the word 'currently' when you say that Geminus will not work with the new FX5200/5500 cards.

(a) Is there a chance that Geminus will be changed to so work?

(b) Will this give performance advantages by replacing at least my original Iyonix card?

The reason for asking is that there may be a price advantage in buying the new ROM and the new graphics card together, even if I cannot use the card for a while.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:52 pm

tim wrote:(a) Is there a chance that Geminus will be changed to so work?
I already have a version that works but I don't want to release it just yet because I've had to disable some of the sprite plotting acceleration because its magic doesn't work on this chipset.
(b) Will this give performance advantages by replacing at least my original Iyonix card?
The card was some ~15-20% faster at copying rectangles than the GF2 cards that I've timed, but the greatest benefit with Geminus is that the extra memory available can be used for cacheing window contents to make redraws faster.

Of course, as always, the card is capable of far more than we can do with it in the absence of any documentation :(

dpt

Post by dpt » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:55 pm

Is there an ETA on the new version?

chuditch

range of cards

Post by chuditch » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:19 am

Is there a list of video cards that work with Rom v5.12 and Geminus please?

admin
Site Admin

Re: range of cards

Post by admin » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:31 pm

chuditch wrote:Is there a list of video cards that work with Rom v5.12 and Geminus please?
Just GeForce2 MX 400 with the current release version of Geminus. This is largely because the software searches only for cards of that type (that was all that Castle provided and supported at that time), rather than the software being dependent upon the specifics of individual card types.

gwynw

Re: range of cards

Post by gwynw » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:47 pm

adrianl wrote:
chuditch wrote:Is there a list of video cards that work with Rom v5.12 and Geminus please?
Just GeForce2 MX 400 with the current release version of Geminus. This is largely because the software searches only for cards of that type (that was all that Castle provided and supported at that time), rather than the software being dependent upon the specifics of individual card types.
So now it's two months later: any news yet of a version that will work with the new/current card?

Gwyn

mikebatten

Post by mikebatten » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:39 pm

I have a FX5200 card fitted in my Iyonix and have had to disable Geminus.
Any news on the update?